Sticky toffee pudding
Sticky toffee pudding is the ultimate comfort food! This pud is a rich, moist cake made studded with soft dates which is drenched in toffee sauce at the end of cooking. No pub lunch or Sunday roast is complete without a large helping of it to finish the meal.
Smother it in cream, ice cream or custard, with extra toffee sauce for good measure.
Cook time: 30-40 mins
- 170g dates, stones removed and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 55g butter, softened
- 170g caster sugar
- 2 large free range eggs
- 170g self-raising flour, sifted
- 1/2½tsp vanilla essence
- 200g soft light brown sugar (roughly 40g a slice)
For the sauce:
- 6 tbsp double cream
- 125g butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 125g butter, chilled and cut into 1cm cubes
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- beaten free range egg yolk, for brushing
- Place the dates in a saucepan with 284ml cold water. Bring to the boil then remove from the heat and stir in the bicarbonate of soda. Leave to stand for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C. Grease and line the base of either an 18cm square loose-bottomed tin or a 20cm spring-form round tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar together. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Fold in the flour then stir in the dates and their liquid and the vanilla essence.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 30-40 minutes until golden and springy when gently pressed in the centre.
- For the sauce mix the sugar, cream, butter and vanilla together in saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour a little sauce over the pudding then put it back in the oven for a few minutes until golden brown. Serve the pudding drizzled with the remaining sauce.
How to Raise a Happy BabyNow, in Brain Rules forNow, in Brain Rules for Baby, he shares what the latest science says about how to raise smart and happy children from zero to 5 Baby, he shares what the latest science says about how to raise smart and happy children from zero to 5.
Toffee apple cupcakeAn indulgent autumnal bake perfect for bonfire night parties, these spiced apple cupcakes are topped with lashings of toffee buttercream.
Children and Behavior - A Few TipsTips to encourage postitive behavior in kids.
AIDS - Is Your Kid Still at Risk?Risk factors for AIDS and what you need to teach your kids about prevention.
Video Games Part IIRecommendations for choosing non-violent and educational video games.
5 Ways to Navigate the Santa Claus ConundrumSanta is a tradition that is centuries old in many cultures.