Sausage and sweet potato skillet supper
A one pot dinner perfect for an autumnal family supper, served straight from the skillet with crusty bread.
The key with this dish is to cook it really gently, so none of the ingredients catch on the bottom of the pan.
Be sure to cut your sweet potato nice and small so it softens up.
Prep time:10 minutes
Cook time:45 minutes
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 pork sausages
- 1 medium onion, chunkily chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, not peeled, keep whole and just bashed a little with a knife
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- Half tsp ground coriander
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped into small 2cm cubes
- 1 red pepper, chunkily chopped
- 2 tbsp mango chutney
- Handful fresh coriander, leaves picked and roughly chopped
1. Using a large frying pan, gently heat the oil and brown the sausages on a medium heat for 5 mins, remove from the pan and set aside. Keep the pan on the heat, turn it down and gently cook the onions and garlic with the salt and ground coriander until soft.
2. Add the sausages back in with the sweet potato and pepper and cook gently for 30 minutes, turning the sausages and stirring a few times during this time. Make sure the sweet potato is soft and then add the mango chutney and cook for a further 5-10 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and serve in the middle of the table straight from the pan with a good scattering of chopped fresh coriander leaves and crusty bread.
If your family aren’t into spice, just leave out the ground coriander.
Vegetarian? Use vegetarian sausages, brown them off at the beginning, but don’t add them until 10 minutes before the end of cooking.
Cranberry and orange Christmas biscuitsA perfect snack or Christmas gift.
Overweight mums more likely to have premature babies, scientists sayScientists have warned that overweight mothers are more like to have premature babies.
You Know What I Mean? Giving DirectionsA mother finds that her son, though well-intentioned, does not ever seem to follow her directions.
Get fit while your baby's sleepingIt can seem well nigh impossible to make time for a workout when you're at home with babies and toddlers, but it's really worth making the effort.
Why do children tell lies?Not only do kids lie, they often lie badly.
The Biggest Beauty Myth You've Been SoldWhoever said, "Beauty is only skin deep" obviously wasn't aware that we are beings of many dimensions that are interconnected.