Salisbury Steak with Roasted-Garlic Mash
- 2 heads garlic, halved crosswise
- 6 yellow potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 cup store-bought dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley, optional
- 1 500-g pkg lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 2/3 cup 35% cream
- Preheat oven to 450F. Wrap both garlic halves in foil. Roast in centre of oven until cloves are tender, about 30 min.
- Boil potatoes in a large saucepan. Reduce heat to medium and gently boil until tender, about 30 min.
- Stir onion with minced garlic, egg, Worcestershire, 1/2 tsp salt, bread crumbs and parsley in a medium bowl. Crumble in meat. Using a fork or your hands, gently mix. Form into 6 oval-shaped steaks, each about 1/2-in. thick.
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in a large non-stick frying pan over medium. When hot, add 3 steaks. Cook until lightly browned on each side, about 3 min per side. Remove to a large plate. Repeat with remaining steaks, then remove to plate. Stir in flour, then gradually add broth. Bring to a boil. Return steaks and any juices to pan. Reduce heat to medium-low, then simmer, covered, until steaks are cooked through, about 5 more min.
- Drain potatoes and return to saucepan over low. Squeeze garlic from cloves into potatoes. Mash well with remaining 3 tbsp butter, 1/4 tsp salt and cream.
Irish stewMany countries have their own version of this white stew, but the dish has become synonymous with Ireland.
Creative Role-Play Encourages Deeper Science LearningLearning how the body works becomes an adventure as sixth grade students embark on a biology-based narrative journey at game-based learning school Quest to Learn.
Is your baby ready for solid food?As soon as my son could sit up on his own, we’d squeeze his fat little legs into his high chair and pull him up to the table while we ate.
Should obese children be given gastric bands?A leading doctor says severely obese children should be given gastric bands to reduce their weight.
Should we praise our children?Wilson McCaskill, talks about when we should praise our children and why.
Developmentally Appropriate Early Childhood EducationWhat developmentally appropriate education is and why it's important.