Salisbury Steak with Roasted-Garlic Mash
- 2 heads garlic, halved crosswise
- 6 yellow potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 cup store-bought dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley, optional
- 1 500-g pkg lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 2/3 cup 35% cream
- Preheat oven to 450F. Wrap both garlic halves in foil. Roast in centre of oven until cloves are tender, about 30 min.
- Boil potatoes in a large saucepan. Reduce heat to medium and gently boil until tender, about 30 min.
- Stir onion with minced garlic, egg, Worcestershire, 1/2 tsp salt, bread crumbs and parsley in a medium bowl. Crumble in meat. Using a fork or your hands, gently mix. Form into 6 oval-shaped steaks, each about 1/2-in. thick.
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in a large non-stick frying pan over medium. When hot, add 3 steaks. Cook until lightly browned on each side, about 3 min per side. Remove to a large plate. Repeat with remaining steaks, then remove to plate. Stir in flour, then gradually add broth. Bring to a boil. Return steaks and any juices to pan. Reduce heat to medium-low, then simmer, covered, until steaks are cooked through, about 5 more min.
- Drain potatoes and return to saucepan over low. Squeeze garlic from cloves into potatoes. Mash well with remaining 3 tbsp butter, 1/4 tsp salt and cream.
Traditional Board gamesFantastic array of traditional board games including inexpensive family favourites, beautiful quality wooden board games and historical board games.
Class Size - Just How Many StudentsWays to encourage your school to reduce class size.
Should children of separated parents sleep over at their dad's?When Vicky Howard and her husband divorced last year, she was all for their 18-month-old daughter, Molly, spending every other weekend with him.
Baby body languagePulling legs up to tummy What does it mean?
5 Methods for Motivating Your Family to CleanAre you tired of nagging your kids to clean their rooms?
Parent Involvement2 important ways to be involved in your child's education.