Salisbury Steak with Roasted-Garlic Mash
- 2 heads garlic, halved crosswise
- 6 yellow potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 cup store-bought dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley, optional
- 1 500-g pkg lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 2/3 cup 35% cream
- Preheat oven to 450F. Wrap both garlic halves in foil. Roast in centre of oven until cloves are tender, about 30 min.
- Boil potatoes in a large saucepan. Reduce heat to medium and gently boil until tender, about 30 min.
- Stir onion with minced garlic, egg, Worcestershire, 1/2 tsp salt, bread crumbs and parsley in a medium bowl. Crumble in meat. Using a fork or your hands, gently mix. Form into 6 oval-shaped steaks, each about 1/2-in. thick.
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in a large non-stick frying pan over medium. When hot, add 3 steaks. Cook until lightly browned on each side, about 3 min per side. Remove to a large plate. Repeat with remaining steaks, then remove to plate. Stir in flour, then gradually add broth. Bring to a boil. Return steaks and any juices to pan. Reduce heat to medium-low, then simmer, covered, until steaks are cooked through, about 5 more min.
- Drain potatoes and return to saucepan over low. Squeeze garlic from cloves into potatoes. Mash well with remaining 3 tbsp butter, 1/4 tsp salt and cream.
The Pros and Cons of Giving a Mobile Phone to a TeenagerMost teenagers own a mobile phone.
Why do children tell lies?Not only do kids lie, they often lie badly.
Choosing a legal guardian for your childrenUp there with the most awful thoughts that you can have as a parent is not being there to raise your own children.
The knackered mum's guide to exerciseIt only took a couple of weeks into the new year for me to fail miserably to keep up with the 30 Day Ab Challenge I over-enthusiastically signed up for.
Raising Vegetarian KidsPeople have many reasons for being vegetarian: health, ethical, cultural or religious.
Sexual HarassmentHow to teach your child to deal with sexual harassment.