Salisbury Steak with Roasted-Garlic Mash
- 2 heads garlic, halved crosswise
- 6 yellow potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 cup store-bought dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley, optional
- 1 500-g pkg lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 2/3 cup 35% cream
- Preheat oven to 450F. Wrap both garlic halves in foil. Roast in centre of oven until cloves are tender, about 30 min.
- Boil potatoes in a large saucepan. Reduce heat to medium and gently boil until tender, about 30 min.
- Stir onion with minced garlic, egg, Worcestershire, 1/2 tsp salt, bread crumbs and parsley in a medium bowl. Crumble in meat. Using a fork or your hands, gently mix. Form into 6 oval-shaped steaks, each about 1/2-in. thick.
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in a large non-stick frying pan over medium. When hot, add 3 steaks. Cook until lightly browned on each side, about 3 min per side. Remove to a large plate. Repeat with remaining steaks, then remove to plate. Stir in flour, then gradually add broth. Bring to a boil. Return steaks and any juices to pan. Reduce heat to medium-low, then simmer, covered, until steaks are cooked through, about 5 more min.
- Drain potatoes and return to saucepan over low. Squeeze garlic from cloves into potatoes. Mash well with remaining 3 tbsp butter, 1/4 tsp salt and cream.
Girls and LeadershipMake sure your daughter's environment isn't keeping her from becoming a leader.
Teaching ToleranceThe role of books in learning tolerance.
Controversial parenting author says pregnant women can drink wine and coffeeThe author of a new book on parenting claims that mums-to-be can safely drink alcohol and coffee and dye their hair.
Educational GiftsBreak the routine with intelligent toys your child will love.
Brussel sprouts two waysIt's hardly news that Brussel sprouts get a bad rap, but Tori Hashka of Eatori has two recipes that will make even the biggest sprouts cynic come back for seconds...
Gangs Part IIIParents and teachers can work together to combat gangs.