Italian eggy bread croque monsieur recipe
This Italianesque sandwich is really halfway between a croque monsieur and eggy bread. Most importantly, this is a filling and frankly delicious after-school snack. If you are not serving it immediately, wrap it in some aluminium foil and it will keep while you take it on the school run.
Prep time:10 minutes
Cook time:10 minutes
Makes: 2 sandwiches
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- A small handful of fresh – basil, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 4 slices of bread
- 1 ball of mozzarella sliced
- 4 thin slices of ham
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 4 tablespoons milk
- Olive oil
1. Mix together the puree with basil and garlic. Spread it over two of the slices of bread.
2. Layer over the mozzarella and the ham, leaving a border of around 2cm (to prevent the cheese dripping out when frying). Season with salt and pepper.
3. Top each sandwich with another slice of bread and squash together firmly.
4. Mix the eggs and milk in a shallow bowl, dip the sandwiches into the mixture and coat well.
5. Heat a dash of olive oil and a large knob of butter in a wide frying pan on a medium heat. Fry the sandwiches on each side until golden brown.
6. Serve immediately or wrap in foil for later.
Can being a dad make your husband a better man?There’s no doubt that having kids leaves a huge impact on a marriage or relationship — priorities change, everyone is sleep-deprived and life is a bit more stressful.
Mental Health and Teens: Five Danger Signs to Watch Out ForThe teenage years can be difficult ones.
How to keep your relationship strong while parenting a special needs childSo, the kids are all right but how’s your marriage doing?
Unpopular KidsHelp children improve negative behavior patterns before they become social outcasts.
How to save money when you're a new mumWhen I was pregnant with my son, Jake, nearly four years ago now, a whole new world of retail therapy opened up to me.
How to handle household chores…with loveHarmonious or hellish?