Italian eggy bread croque monsieur recipe
This Italianesque sandwich is really halfway between a croque monsieur and eggy bread. Most importantly, this is a filling and frankly delicious after-school snack. If you are not serving it immediately, wrap it in some aluminium foil and it will keep while you take it on the school run.
Prep time:10 minutes
Cook time:10 minutes
Makes: 2 sandwiches
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- A small handful of fresh – basil, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 4 slices of bread
- 1 ball of mozzarella sliced
- 4 thin slices of ham
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 4 tablespoons milk
- Olive oil
1. Mix together the puree with basil and garlic. Spread it over two of the slices of bread.
2. Layer over the mozzarella and the ham, leaving a border of around 2cm (to prevent the cheese dripping out when frying). Season with salt and pepper.
3. Top each sandwich with another slice of bread and squash together firmly.
4. Mix the eggs and milk in a shallow bowl, dip the sandwiches into the mixture and coat well.
5. Heat a dash of olive oil and a large knob of butter in a wide frying pan on a medium heat. Fry the sandwiches on each side until golden brown.
6. Serve immediately or wrap in foil for later.
Self Regulation and KindergartenStudies show that children with the ability to self-regulate are more successful in school, and life.
How to keep your baby cool this summerConfused by conflicting advice on how to keep your baby cool, comfy and safe in sweltering summer temperatures?
Reducing Homework PainsThree tips to avoid homework stress.
Dropping Out - The Reasons WhyIdentify the warning signs before your child drops out of school.
How to rekindle your friendship with your spouseWho’s your favourite couple of all time — the pair that works, that fits, that you’d aspire to be?
Britain's youngest beauty queen: Ella is nine weeks oldShe's yet to crawl, talk or even try solid food, but nine-week-old Ella Oliver has already mastered one skill - flashing a killer smile!