Italian eggy bread croque monsieur recipe
This Italianesque sandwich is really halfway between a croque monsieur and eggy bread. Most importantly, this is a filling and frankly delicious after-school snack. If you are not serving it immediately, wrap it in some aluminium foil and it will keep while you take it on the school run.
Prep time:10 minutes
Cook time:10 minutes
Makes: 2 sandwiches
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- A small handful of fresh – basil, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 4 slices of bread
- 1 ball of mozzarella sliced
- 4 thin slices of ham
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 4 tablespoons milk
- Olive oil
1. Mix together the puree with basil and garlic. Spread it over two of the slices of bread.
2. Layer over the mozzarella and the ham, leaving a border of around 2cm (to prevent the cheese dripping out when frying). Season with salt and pepper.
3. Top each sandwich with another slice of bread and squash together firmly.
4. Mix the eggs and milk in a shallow bowl, dip the sandwiches into the mixture and coat well.
5. Heat a dash of olive oil and a large knob of butter in a wide frying pan on a medium heat. Fry the sandwiches on each side until golden brown.
6. Serve immediately or wrap in foil for later.
How to handle household chores…with loveHarmonious or hellish?
How to make salt dough Christmas tree decorationsThese easy to make homemade tree decorations are such a favourite part of our craft preparations for Christmas and for that reason we make them every year, enjoying the process as much as the end product.
What do I do when other people's kids drive me crazy?I think we all know one family whose children annoy us with what we see as persistent misbehavior.
Encouraging ReadingWays you can encourage the love of reading in your home.
Do Test Preparation Course Help?How to choose the right test preparation courses.
15 Things Only Moms of Daughters Understand1.