I Know What Causes Autism
Last week I was surfing the Internet and came across a headline proclaiming autism and circumcision are linked. I couldn’t help myself. I laughed out loud.
In no certain order, I have read the following explanations for autism over the years:
- Autism is caused by mercury.
- Autism is caused by lead.
- Autism begins with poor maternal bonding.
- Certain pesticides may trigger autism.
- Gluten aggravates autism spectrum disorder.
- People with autism should eat more strawberries.
- Too much automotive exhaust is a leading cause of autism.
- Chemicals found on non-stick cookware may trigger autism.
The one about maternal bonding is sort of painful for me. The truth is, I did have a hard time bonding with infant Jack. The little guy shrieked and whined and cried for a solid year. He started sleeping through the night at six weeks, and stopped at three months.
I was exhausted, and Joe and I were fighting constantly; bickering and arguing and long screaming matches. For the first time, I could feel my marriage slipping away from me like sand through my fingers.
Settle Down, Pay Attention, Say Thank YouAre you living a mindful life?
The Difference Between Being Pretty and BeautifulAre you pretty?
Cranberry and orange Christmas biscuitsA perfect snack or Christmas gift.
Baked Asparagus FriesEating healthier is not only a commitment, it’s a mindset.
Kill Your TVJohn Medina is the author of "Brain Rules for Baby: How to Raise a Smart and Happy Child from Zero to Five."
How to Deal with Your Child’s Bedtime FearsMany children go through phases of having fears associated with nighttime and going to bed.