Candy Cane Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup candy canes, finely chopped
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- Stir flour with baking powder, salt and candy canes in a medium bowl. Set aside. Beat butter with granulated sugar in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high, until fluffy. Beat in egg. Gradually beat in flour mixture until combined.
- Gather into a ball. Divide dough in half, then flatten into two discs and wrap in wax paper. Chill until firm, about 1 hour or overnight.
- Position racks in top and bottom thirds of oven. Preheat to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
Roll cookies into 1-in. balls and arrange 1 in. apart on prepared sheets. Cookies will spread when baked. Bake in top and bottom thirds of oven, switching halfway through, until cookies are just turning golden around the edges, 12 to 15 min.
- et cookies cool on sheets for 1 min, then transfer to a rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough. Cookies will keep well, stored in an airtight container at room temperature, up to 5 days.
Brussel sprouts two ways
It's hardly news that Brussel sprouts get a bad rap, but Tori Hashka of Eatori has two recipes that will make even the biggest sprouts cynic come back for seconds...
Children and Money Part I
Raising a Fit PreschoolerPreschoolers have a lot of energy, and they use it in a more organized way than when they were toddlers.
Grades and Achievement Part IWhy grades aren't always a sign of achievement.
Soft-boiled eggs 'now safe for pregnant women and babies'Pregnant women and babies have been given the all-clear to eat soft-boiled eggs – and they could even prevent children developing allergies, according to a new study.
You Know What I Mean? Giving DirectionsA mother finds that her son, though well-intentioned, does not ever seem to follow her directions.
Tips for Managing Your Child’s Social Networking ActivitiesWhile there are benefits to social networking for children, there are many downsides too.